Share this article

The municipal bus company has decided to approach the court for an interdict to end the bus drivers’ strike. Talks between the two deadlocked on Tuesday.
METROBUS will go to court tomorrow to seek an interdict that is likely bring an end to the ongoing bus drivers’ strike.

This decision comes after Metrobus and the South Africa Municipal Workers’ Union (Samwu) failed to find a resolution over the new shift schedule that was implemented last year.

Metrobus spokesperson, Esther Dreyer, said the company hoped the decision to approach the court would help bring an end to the strike, which has left many commuters stranded. “This strike has inconvenienced many passengers who now have to fork out a lot of money for alternative transport,” she said.

Bus drivers, who have been on strike since Wednesday, 9 February, are not happy with the changes that were made to the shift schedule, citing the longer working hours in the new schedule. The schedule was restructured to allow for eight-hour working shifts for drivers. Previously, they worked only six to seven hours a day.

Because of violence and intimidation, bus trips on all routes have been cancelled until further notice. “Metrobus would like to apologise to passengers for the inconvenience caused,” said Dreyer.

Related stories:

Metrobus, Samwu talks deadlock
City, bus drivers in talks
Metrobus drivers’ strike ends