|The JSE Ltd has operated as a market place for the trading of financial products for nearly 120 years. In this time, the JSE has evolved from a traditional floor based equities trading market to a modern securities exchange providing fully electronic trading, clearing and settlement in equities, financial and agricultural derivatives and other associated instruments and has extensive surveillance capabilities. The JSE is also a major provider of financial information.|
- Living in Joburg costs around half that of major European cities. The Mercer Cost of Living Survey in 2018 ranked the City at 177th out of 211 countries, making it one of the least expensive expat destinations in the world.
- Joburg is ranked 11th globally as the best emerging market centre of commerce (out of 65 centres)
- Joburg is home to the largest stock exchange on the continent, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange
- JSE in global derivatives Top 10
- Over 70% of South African companies are headquartered in Joburg, including 3 SA firms ranked in the Global Top 40, namely MTN (7), Sasol (24) and Bidvest (37) (AT Kearney Survey for BusinessWeek, involving 2500 companies in 18 countries)
The City also hosts the South African headquarters of more than half of the world’s top 20 global brands, with an increasing number of blue-chip companies investing in Joburg, including Bank of India, Barclays, Lafarge, Huawei, Hi-Sense, LG, L’Oréal, Ranbaxy, SBI, Scania, Sinosteel, Sony Ericsson and Tata Group.