Share this article

​Employment and e​ducation​
​Employment​ ​
Section 27(f) of the Refugees Act states that a refugee is entitled to seek employment in South Africa.
Employment may be sought in almost all sectors of the job market.
Many employers are unaware of the conditions of asylum seeker and refugee permits. Explain these conditions in your CV; you may also attach a letter from organisations such as the Migrant Helpdesk explaining the validity and conditions of your permit.
All foreign qualifications require an evaluation accounting to South African standards. Documents should be submitted to the South African Qualifications Authority. These  certificates state what level of qualification you have in terms of South African standards.
As an asylum seeker or refugee you are protected by the labour law of the country and should you be unfairly dismissed from work, you may report the matter to the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) within 39 days.

​According to the South African Constitution, everyone has the right to basic education, including basic adult education.
Approach the closest public school to where you live and apply for registration; if you experience any difficulty contact the Department of Education.
If you are unable to pay school fees, make an application for en exemption. There are certain service organisations that specifically provide assistance with regard to this.
For tertiary education bursaries, contact the United Nations High Commission for Refugees or the institutions directly.​